Evanston Transportation Alliance, Bike Wilmette, and Friends of the Parks present “Even Cooler Along the Lake: Navigating the hidden lakefront and history tour.” Join us for a leisurely bike ride on Saturday September 14th to promote the completion of the final two miles on the north end of Chicago’s lakefront trail and ultimately connecting the trail to Evanston and Wilmette. Rain Date TBD.
We will gather at Foster Beach in Chicago at 10:30 A.M. and ride up to Wilmette. Riders should feel free to drop in our out at any point along the route. Highlights and stops along the ride include:
- Short presentation by MWRD Commissioner Cam Davis
- Lunch at the Waterfront Cafe in Berger Park
- Award winning 15-minute documentary Lungs of the City co-produced by Loyola and Friends of the Parks featuring Blair Kamin
- Learn about Gatsby-esque architect Benjamin Marshall from former Wilmette President John Jacoby, with stops at Marshall’s Edgewater Beach Apartments and at the gates to his former mansion in Wilmette where legendary parties were held.
- Evanston’s Dawes House History Center.
- The ride will finish at Convito Cafe in Wilmette for drinks and snacks.
Getting To and From
The ride will begin Saturday, September 14th at 10:30 A.M. at Foster Beach, 5200 N. Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. The beach is accessible on public transportation via the Berwyn stop on the CTA red line. There is a Divvy station to rent bicycles just off the Berwyn stop, one block to the west. Bicycles are allowed on the train.
The ride will complete about a five minute ride north of the Linden CTA red/purple line stop and about a five minute ride from the Wilmette Metra station. Divvy renters can return their bikes nearby at the Davis Street CTA station in Evanston.